Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Galena Marathon (6/30) - Race Report from Steve G.

Elevation, heat, and a load of climbing made Galena more of a survivor game than a race! I came in well rested and wanted to have a good showing, but legs felt rusty. Luckily there was 68 riders in a mass start and everyone had to just fall in line. This gave my legs time to wake up and start running from team mate Mike Shaw who was stalking me! There was a few sketchy downhills in-between the grueling climbs so I could maintain some distance. Running my single ring up front (Dumb-A$) I was slowing on the relentless climbs and Mike got by me.. Somebody should had reminded me about the hike-A-bike from hell...I would have stayed home to drink beer!

Lap 2! What, I have to do that again!! Mike and I showed up at our cooler for some refreshments together and neither wanting to wimp out, so we moved on. I set a blistering pace (about 5mph) and Mike was sucking my wheel (drafting is cheating!). Some gal had the nerve to pass us, and Mike wasn't having any of that! So I gladly watched them ride away from me on the first climb. I can catch them on the down... Or I can slide out and road rash my junk!! (that's a first) That took all the ambition out of me and went directly to the survivor game. From there it seemed like I was the only one left on course, no one chasing and no one in sight to chase. Soldiering on, my junk started feeling better, or numb, and I picked up the pace (6mph) and by the time I got to the FUN hike-a-bike I had someone in sight! Oh its on, like Donkey Kong! I felt revived and started picking riders off. One, Two, Mike, nope Mark! We'll let Mark share what happened in his race but will most likely be the last time I beat that machine! Then one more Eastside jersey watering the bushes, Mike.. It was mostly downhill from here so was able to hold off any challengers and get by a few more to finish strong.

That was hard, but I felt good at mile 40 so only 60 to go.. Bring on HC-100!!

No comments:

Post a Comment