Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Mt. Ogden 100k - 8.18.12 (Eric Zuber)


You may lose the race, but don’t lose the lesson…
Mt. Ogden 100k Re-cap; August 18th
I will preface this recap by summarizing where I was in preparation for this race; underprepared.  Two weeks or so prior to this race Boise was shrouded in smoke where you could not see the foothills from downtown.  For fear of respiratory effects and lack of motivation; I did not ride in the smoke.  Between the HC100 on July 21st and this race, I had taken a moderately hard 6hr ride in the heat to Bogus and back, at least 50miles, and a great crew and I did an extended weekend in Bend, OR for some leisurely riding.  While I had ridden between races, a few more training rides would have been in order.
Again, Angela helped ensure that I ate and hydrated well the week leading up to the race.  I probably tailed off on the hydration the two days before as during the course of two 3hr drives we never had to use a rest stop; first indication of coming up short of preparation goals.  We knew it was going to in the mid 90s and hydration was going to be key.
Leading up to the race I also did not take time to study the map and ask for additional information if needed.  A nice map was provided, but it lacked aid station information and mileage.  I prefer to ride with bottles to monitor intake and keep weight off my back and need to know if I can manage between stations with two bottles ~2hrs, or if I need to take additional water.  I realized the lack of information provided the night before the race as I studied the map and tried to match up an e-mail describing the stations and trail names (which were not on the map).  Seemed geared to locals like the Point-2-Point race in Park City.  Hammer Nutrition was sponsoring the endurance race, but only Gel and HEED were mentioned; not Perpetuem, the endurance product Hammer makes which I use.  I had made up two bottles of Perpetuem and figured I could get by with other foods with the lack of race protein support.  Turns out, while packing, the little I had planned to bring, I didn’t.  No protein for sustained endurance.  I was disappointed in Hammer’s support; but I didn’t bring what I needed.  Lesson 1: bring what you want; regardless of aid support provided.  To make up for my short comings, Angela made some PBJs; Sans Crust ala’ Ron Miller and had some chopped sweet potatoes all of us HC100 racers will remember should I be able to eat when I came through at about 40miles in as we started the second lap.  I was going to go for it; normal fueling or no.

We lined up.  Pros first; there were a lot of them ~20.  Getting the top 20 would have been nice, but looked difficult to start. (Yes, I was aiming high)  Behind the Pro Men ~10 pro women lined up.  My goal was not to be ‘chicked’.  I must state that measuring my performance by not getting beat by a girl goes into more depth than the simple fact of being beat by a girl.  Women racers are strong.  It seems if I’m having a good day, I can stay ahead of them.  I can finish behind the lead pro men and in front of the lead pro women.  A good place for a solid ‘expert’ category mountain biker.
Shotgun start: Literally.  Aimed, perhaps with a live load to rain down on the lodge as the pros rode off and the experts lined up next.  One minute later we were off as well.  Neutral roll out around the parking lot before we hit the first double track ascent with approximately 12miles of climbing of about 3,500-4,000ft.  I was the first in my group to hit dirt.  I sighted the pro women directly ahead and started passing.  I picked off all but one pro woman and even got two pro men before undulating single track filed us up.  I was top 20.
I managed to pass about 4 other male pros and that remaining pro woman and tried to settle in for the remainder of the first climb.  While passing one pro I was told to “take it easy, turbo”; to his credit was probably sound advice.  We climbed, climbed, and climbed some more.  I was starting to think I had gone out too hot; considering I was already dreading climbing this section a second time!  I was in a good position to monitor my placement, however.  I was first expert.  About 2 miles from the top of the climb after a few pros had passed me back two guys passed me that I vaguely recalled from our neutral roll-out.  I was dropping to 3rd of 4th expert.  No problem, long race right?!

We started our decent.  There was a good gap between me and the next guy forward and aft.  This was great.  I could see the trail, pick my line and not suck dust (some of the trails were VERY dusty).  For a few miles I was doing great.  Soon my hands started to get fatigued.  I pulled over to let out some pressure in my front tire and continued.  Much better.  I finished the decent and was a little over 11 mintues behind the lead pro group.

The second climb.  I was told by a gal that this climb was mellow and lead to some nice descents that you could rail.  This was a section that we’d only do once during the race.  Looking back, she was right.  It was a mellow climb, but I was starting to fade already.  I managed to finish this shorter climb ~3miles, while maintaining my position before descending. 

The descending was fast with speed-checking switchbacks.  I was recovering a bit from the climbs hoping in time the gel and chews I had eaten would get my energy back in check.  At about this time I heard something unfamiliar from my drive train.  It almost sounded like HC100 last year when my chain went over and around my rear derailleur pulley, but the vibrations were felt all through the bike up to my rear shifter mech.  I pulled over to check it out and that is when a pack of 3 riders caught me in a raging storm of dust.  I found nothing visibly wrong with my derailleur and got back in line to finish the descent.  It was a slow, dusty, confidence crushingly slog behind three riders, but I figured I’d  coast and try to rest.  The derailleur problem subsided momentarily allowing me to continue a ‘race’ effort.  Soon after there was a junction where the 25 and 50k course came in which caused some confusion for the 3 riders ahead of me.  One called out to go left, and I rolled past them and was able to gap them again in the finial mile of descent to the lowest part of the course.  Upon shifting down to climb out of this sun baked, low shrub, high grassland, Boise like section of the course the rear derailleur problem surfaced again.  Pulling over and conceding 5 more positions, I could find nothing wrong with the derailleur so I continued on with its sporadic grinding.
A few miles later we came to another aid station with technical support.  I fueled up (no protein) and let the mechanics find my problem: seized rear derailleur pulley.  They freed it, lubed it and sent me on my way.  We started climbing back to the resort start/finish aid station.  I really started to feel my hot start.  I had to pull over a few times to consume some water and let my throbbing head return to a normal state.  After each time I pulled over I started feeling like a new man; but that only lasted about 5-10 minutes.  I lost a few more spots before I finally reached the ~3mile pavement section leading directly to the start/finish.  The sun was out, I was dry, it was hot; bad combo.  This is where the lead pro woman passed me back.  I held her wheel.  For 37seconds.  Not a concern anymore, I needed a second wind.  I passed and chatted with a racer with the plate #1.  He explained it was an alphabetical thing; not that he won this race last year.  He was pretty sure he would pull out when he reached the end of this climb in one more mile. Neither one of us was looking forward to that that first climb again.  He pulled out.  I pulled over.

Angela was there at the start/finish aid station again to make sure I had everything I needed.  Aid volunteers came to me to see what I needed as well (similar to park city P2P race support!)  I gave them two bottle to fill, handed off my bike to get the rear pulley lubed and was also brought an ice pack to put down my back by another aid volunteer!  I ate potatoes but couldn’t stand thinking of eating the PBJ – probably should have.  I washed my face and put back on my helmet to see 3 more woman pros pass by.  I audibly grumbled in frustration and Angela just said I wouldn’t make up those spots by standing here! 
Leaving the start/finish aid for my second lap I felt better, but not recharged.  My energy was waning as I started the dreaded ascent again.  I was mixing it up with a few other rides on the way up, back and forth.  Someone would bobble on a rocky section and I’d make it, but be slower on the not so steep sections and they would pass back.  I probably was losing a spot here and there.  And then the cramping started firing in my inner quads followed by my main quads.  I tried to exaggerate my full leg extensions to work out the cramping, seemed to work during the HC100, but I didn’t win this round.  I had to pull over before I fell over.  I assumed the squat position to keep my quads from binding up.  It has been about 3 years since this has happened to me.  I couldn’t stand up.  In about 5 minutes I was ready to continue.  During this first cramping session I lost 4 spots and another woman pro passed.  I backed way off, but the cramping didn’t follow suit.  I had to stop about 3 more times before making the summit and had also run out of water.   Things were looking dire.
Descending again went well and I made up a spot or two.  I came back down towards the resort parking lots where we had camped and came across Angela again.  This time all I could take was a kiss.  Thinking back, that was probably a lot for a grungy, dusty, sweaty and tired guy to ask, but I got it without hesitation. J
More descending to the lowest part of the course again (bypassing that ~3mile climb on the first lap).  I made up some more spots and then the derailleur wanted to voice its opposition again.  Knowing the problem now, I dug out the chain lube I was carrying and freed up the pulley while also soaking my glove – good for eating things.  I had to lube the pulley one last time before finishing the race.  Climbing out of the lowest part of the course was also my lowest moment.  Most of the trail was dry and sun exposed with continual gradual climbing.  I stopped just after the aid station, as the climbing began, to pee (no kidding) but had to kneel as I could not stand.  I drank some more and had a picnic with some chews while three more guys and the last pro woman to pass me trudged by.  I probably stopped 5 more times before hitting the final pavement, giving up an equal number of spots.  I did gain one spot back as I lightly slapped a guy on the thigh and said “You’re it!” and gave my last 4 hard-ish pumps to gap him by a few bike lengths.  He was not in for chasing, though the results show he was a mere 2 seconds behind me!  I would have thought at least 30; Timing.
In the end, I finished.  The showers didn’t show up, so a few of us used a hose and Angela was happy to rinse me down with frigid water that took my breath away, but left me cleaner and refreshed so I could try and put this race behind me.  After writing this; I’m pretty sure the bulk of the event is now past and I can focus on what’s to come.  “Oh Danny Boy; the cow bells, the cow bells are calling….from glen to glen to mountain side”…..
Z: 5th place Male (25-34): 6:50:02, 1:40:39 behind 1st pro.
42/74 100k Finishers
Familiar Lessons:
Lesson 1: Bring what you will want/need
Lesson 2: Again and again; hydrate, if you’re not using the loo every 1 ½ hours, you’re not hydrated
Lesson 3: Know your performance/body, if something is wrong; fuel, or back off your effort.
Lesson 4: Know the course days before hand to give time to question organizers (distances, elevation profiles, aid locations - pre-ride if you can).
Angela added this one for me:
Lesson 5: Don't blow your wad too soon... if a pro tells you to “take it easy, turbo”;  it's best to listen and sit back a little!
(waiting for all photos to post, hoping for one to purchase! :) )



No comments:

Post a Comment