Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fruita 100K recap

    Just returned from my second go at the Fruita 100K on the Kokopelli Trail.  I won the women's division last year with a time of 5:10.  Finishers in under 5 hours get a special gold medal and I really didn't think I could eliminate 10 minutes off my time from last year considering how spent I felt the in final hour of last year's race.  All this sounds impressive but this is a small venue, low key race that only attracts about 60 racers mostly from the Denver/Boulder area.  Seems like locals participate in 18 Hours of Fruita or 12 Hours of Mesa Verde which are much larger attractions.  Fruita 100K  is an out and back course of mainly double track with some steep rocky sections,  jeep trails and a 5 mile road section to connect the trails.  My Garmin read about 4300 ft of climbing in 66 miles. 
    This year's course was much faster thanks to several days of rain that made for hard packed sand and cooler temperatures compared to last year.  I used my same strategy as last year by trying to start fast and get to the 1st section of rocky descent while you still have a choice of lines.  My main goal was to keep a steady pace, focus on nutrition and finish stronger than last year.  All was well at the turn around when I realized I had several minutes on the next female rider and everything was going as planned. I could continue my "ride smart" approach.  I got to the last aid station and realized I could make the 5 hour cutoff if I pushed the pace.  So my strategy went from "ride smart" to "race is on."  I was making my way up the last steep rocky climb on the way back to the finish when my legs were cooked.  I was ready to bale and walk the last ledge when I looked down and saw a snake.  I'm pretty sure I levitated up and over the ledge as the adrenaline kicked in and I kept up the pace all the way to the finish.  Since my Garmin time and gun time were different I didn't know how much time I had to make the 5 hour cutoff but my time off the bike was minimal.  I turned the last corner and saw the clock…4:59:28.   I was happy that I made a race out of the race and went for the time.  I'm pretty sure the snake was real and  I wasn't having visual hallucinations at that point in the race but will remember that during my next hard race when I  need an extra boost.  I hope I represented Eastside Cycles well. I received many favorable comments about Boise.
    I think this is a good early season endurance event to put on the calendar.  It's not a technical course so all levels of riders would enjoy it.  The scenery was beautiful and there were well stocked aid stations with helpful volunteers.  Almost everyone finishes the race with the exception of those who suffer mechanical issues.  The day ends with a BBQ and cold beer at Singletracks, the local shop.  The trip is even better if you can get into Fruita a few days early and enjoy some of their great single track.

Ride On,
Lori   

No comments:

Post a Comment